Editor’s word: The American-Statesman is making this story about winter climate free for everybody to view as a public service. Should you already subscribe, thanks. If not, please accomplish that at this time at statesman.com/subscribenow.
The primary wave of Artic climate left tens of 1000’s of Central Texans in the dead of night. With a second unprecedented winter storm system approaching, Austin’s electrical utility has these recommendations on getting ready for a doable energy loss.
Outage Preparedness Guidelines
- Signal as much as obtain outage alerts by texting REGISTER (or REG) to 287846 (AUSTIN on a cellphone keypad). As soon as you might be signed up, it is possible for you to to report an outage and obtain outage alerts and updates by way of textual content messaging. (Message and knowledge charges might apply.)
- Replace the cellphone quantity related together with your metropolis of Austin utilities account. Name 512-494-9400 to confirm and replace, or go to coautilities.com to replace your account profile on-line.
- Collect all related paperwork and preserve it in a secure, waterproof, accessible place, together with your Austin Power account quantity, different emergency numbers, and household and neighbor contact data.
Monitor the ability outages:Thousands affected in Austin and other parts of Central Texas
- Assemble a Storm Package. Storm kits ought to embody: A flashlight, additional batteries, and glow sticks (no candles — they may begin a hearth). Different gadgets embody blankets, a first-aid equipment, a transportable, battery-operated radio, bottled water, and canned or dried meals together with a hand-operated can opener. Retailer your Storm Package in a handy place the place it’s available in case your energy goes out throughout a storm. Make certain everybody in your loved ones or enterprise is aware of the place the Storm Package is positioned.
- Have crucial provides available. Collect further gadgets, reminiscent of prescriptions and specialty gadgets for infants, seniors or disabled people.
A glance again:Ice storms are rare in Austin but we’ve seen them before
- Cost moveable energy banks in your electronics. Digital gadgets like cellphones and laptops can rapidly run out of energy when Wi-Fi is down due to an outage. Exterior energy banks use batteries to increase utilization time.
- Backup your pc. It is a good suggestion to again up your pc’s laborious drive frequently. A lightning strike can harm the laborious drive and you’ll lose precious digital information.
- Plan go the time. In excessive conditions, reminiscent of ice storms or prolonged flooding, the outage might final fairly some time and chances are you’ll be housebound. A battery-operated AM/FM radio can preserve you knowledgeable of the information and assist to go the time. Playing cards, dominoes and board video games might help stave off boredom — particularly with kids.
Story continues under.
Frightened about your pipes? Austin’s water utility offers these tips
Incessantly Requested Questions
If a storm is approaching and a limb is touching an influence line, ought to I trim the limb earlier than the storm hits?
No, the time to trim limbs is not only earlier than a storm hits. Name Austin Power 512-494-9400 to request tree pruning. By no means prune and even contact a limb that’s in touch with an influence line.
If a storm is approaching, what home equipment or electrical gear ought to I unplug?
Energy surges related to lightning strikes or outages can harm a variety of home equipment. It’s a good suggestion to unplug televisions, computer systems and recreation consoles.